Direct determination of % salt in packing medium of canned
vegetables, fruits, juices, and pickles.
Applicable to: canned peas, corn, beans, fruit juices, pickle
brine, sauerkraut, soups, and tomato juices.
1. Lazar Model IS-146 NaCl ion electrode.
2. Lazar Model DJ-146 reference electrode.
3. Lazar Model MP-16 ion analyzer.
4. Lazar Model SMC-146 sample measurement cell.
5. Magnetic stirrer.
6. 1 milliliter pipet.
7. 100 milliliter volumetric flask.
1. Deionized water.
2. 50 grams per liter of sodium chloride corresponding to 5%
salt standard. Use reagent grade sodium chloride and deionized
water to prepare standard. Standard need only be prepared
occasionally and has a shelf life of up to 1 year.
3. 10 grams per liter sodium chloride corresponding t o1% salt
standard (shelf life of 6 months).
1. Assemble salt measurement system by inserting IS-146 NaCl
ion electrode and DJ-146 reference electrode into sample cell
and securing with cell lock nuts. Attach electrode cables to
Model MP-16 ionanalyzer. Turn ionanalyzer on.
2. Dilute 5% salt standard by a factor of 100 by pipeting 1
milliliter of standard into 100 milliliter volumetric flask
and dilute to 100 ml with deionized water.
3. Open sample cell, rinse electrode with deionized water, and
pour diluted standard into cell.
4. Wait approximately 2 minutes for reading to stabilize.
Standardize MP-16 ionanalyzer with 5% diluted salt standard.
5. Pour out 5% diluted standard, rinse electrodes and sample
cell with deionized water and repeat standardizing procedure
with 1% salt standard.
1. Remove 1 milliliter of packing medium from can, jar or
processing equipment, and dilute to 100 milliliter using 100
milliliter volumetric flask and deionized water.
2. Rinse electrodes and sample cell with deionized water and
add diluted packing medium to sample cell.
3. Wait approximately 2 minutes for reading to stabilize and
read % salt of packing medium directly n digital meter.
4. Rinse electrodes and sample cell with deionized water and
repeat procedure for next sample.
Go to Technical Data Sheet on This Product
To request more information on this product write to
Go Back To What's New